Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Little Love Lost

Yesterday I watched a friend lower her infant girl into the ground.

I watched as the father wept and was embraced by men who grieved over his 15-hour-old daughter.

Tears rolled down my face as the pastor spoke of Katie Joy's place in heaven. I could picture her in the arms of Christ, what a beautiful sight to behold.

And yet, if I could have I would have gone up to heaven, told Jesus they needed a little more time with their girl, and brought her back to the arms of her mother.

I struggle to understand. A little girl formed inside her mother's womb, with too little lung tissue to take a breath in the outside world. Nothing could be done. At a time when life was meant to be celebrated, they prepared for death.

How can it be? Why does God allow such pain and loss? Is it our fallen world? Is it to make us long to be home with Him?

The family sang the words, "it is well with my soul." Honestly, it is not yet well with mine.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Leah, this is heartbreaking. I am so sorry to hear this. Beautifully written in the mist of pain and questions.