Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Rush of Inspiration

I love to watch movies. I like to be entertained, but even more than that I love to be inspired.

The other day we rented August Rush. It is a movie that did not get good reviews. They said it was sappy, too many coincidences and blatantly pulls at the heart strings. I say it's a fairytale, and if you watch it as such, it can be a very cool movie going experience.

After watching it with my husband, we decided to let our kids watch it, too. It's rated PG and we knew they would love the music.

The story is about a young boy who has lived in an orphanage his whole life, and as most orphans do, he believed that his parents were alive and looking for him. But unlike most orphans, he believed he could hear them in the form of music in the world - in the wind, in the rain, in the sound of passing cars. And he believed that if he could play music, then his parents would hear him, too. And find him.

Some of you are thinking how ridiculous this all sounds, but for me this is exactly the kind of thing I would love to believe in.

So this kid becomes sort of a musical prodigy - first learning to play the guitar, then the organ and more. It's really cool to watch this kid discover his gifts and the music is pretty incredible.



Well, as much as I love to be inspired, I love to inspire my children to dream and attempt new things and to believe that they have something unique and special to offer this world.

I watched my kids as they took in this movie, their eyes riveted on the boy as he dreamed and played music and believed that he could make the impossible happen.

Halfway through the movie my 5-year-old got out his little guitar and started banging on it, hoping to evoke the same incredible melodies that the boy did. My 9-year-old's eyes lit up as they seamlessly melded a symphony into rock music. And when the movie was over my 7-year-old got out his notebook and started writing down notes, writing his own music, just like the boy in the story.

Now, unfortunately, they do not have two musically gifted parents as the kid in the movie did, so they will not likely be musical prodigies. If they want to play anything like that boy, they will probably have to take years upon years of lessons and practice for hours every day, which may be disappointing to them. But I think it's worth it.

I want my children to be inspired to attempt new things. I want them to dream and believe in the impossible. And I want to be there cheering them on every step of the way.

Though this movie may be the stuff of fairy tales, there is a reason that we love fairy tales. We already know how hard life is, we understand the struggle of it all. Every once in a while we need a little inspiration, and the mother of inspiration is hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh! that's so exciting! they can always come to me and ask about music... we're playing some great music next year and i'll totally let you know when the concerts are so they can come! that's soooo exciting... music is an amazing thing to get them involved in... and it's proven that kids who get involved in any type of music are smarter and better students because of it! :) i might be getting a car this summer, so if i do i could come see you guys and maybe show the kids a thing or two about music, see if they like it? you're right, it's a big commitment getting lessons and practicing like crazy, but if you like it, it's a great thing to start. i have a guitar that i don't really use much anymore if you'd like to have it for the kids for a while... i loved August Rush too, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

oh and by the way i found myself watching high school musical 2 today and thought of the kids and how much they love it. it was soooo disney, but a good movie nonetheless. ;) love you!

j.ro said...

i'm with you leah. i LOVED august rush! i'm glad it inspired your kids to dream.