Thursday, March 12, 2009

9 Days and Counting

9 days. I have gone 9 days without chocolate. It has been challenging and frustrating at times, but there have been some rewards.

I have lost 4 pounds. In 9 days. I know that's great, but it's also a little sad. Do you know how much chocolate that means I eat normally? I don't know exact numbers, but a lot.

It reminds me of when I was nursing my daughter. She was a very fussy baby, more so than any of my other babies, so I called the lactation consultant to ask if there was anything I could do. She started asking me a series of questions about Hope and then about my diet. It went something like this:
"Do you drink a lot of coffee?"
"No, I don't like coffee."
"What about tea?"
"Green tea."
"That shouldn't affect her too much."
"Spicy foods?"
"Some."
"You might want to watch that. What about chocolate?"
"What about it?" (defensive, much?)
"Do you eat a lot of chocolate?"
"Ummmm..." Wondering what her definition of "a lot" is.
"Can you fit it into a cup, one measuring cup?"
"Ummmm..." Let's see, brownie batter, then a couple baked brownies, magic shell on my ice cream, a few Dove chocolates here and there. Maybe if I melt it all down it would fit into a cup.

After long silence.

"Okay, just try to limit the amount of chocolate you eat in a day to 1 cup full. Then it shouldn't affect her too much."
"Got it." Sort of.

Yes. I have a problem. That's the first step, right? Admit that I have a problem. Going cold turkey seems to be working. But this morning I realized I still have 31 more days of this and I got a little discouraged. That is a long time to go without sweets. The only other time I have done this was during my first pregnancy when anything sweeter than a pretzel made me vomit. There's a reason I was able to lose all the baby weight so quickly that time.

I have also started to drink some diet pop. This makes me angry because I've had a long standing moral objection to artificial sweeteners. I'm not sure what my moral stance is based on, maybe some shady research about Diet Coke causing brain tumors or something. But I don't like it.

Just thought you'd want to know.

2 comments:

Beth (Adventures of a Schoolmarm) said...

I'm so proud of you. So much so, I even gave you props on my blog today. :)

http://lovenotesfrommysavior.blogspot.com/2009/03/goats-will-eat-anything.html

I suppose the reference to you has nothing to do with overcoming your chocolate habit, but your words just stick to my bones and stay with me.

Love you way more than chocolate! :)

Unknown said...

Great job...

I was thinking if I gave up peanut butter (my "healthier substitution" than chocolate because I know I shouldn't eat that much chocolate) I would float away in the breeze. That doesn't mean I'm not a sweet-aholic...it just means I'm lying to myself.

You can do it!!