Sunday, February 10, 2008

Nothing Like a Good Humbling

I am so often humbled by my children. They are my humblers, as my friend, Stan, would say. A couple days ago I was driving my 5-year-old home from preschool and becoming frustrated with my 3-year-old daughter's endless crying. Her crying seems to be a response to everything these days.

"Mommy, can I have a cookie?"
"No, honey, you haven't had any breakfast yet."
Big pouty lip, large tears begin to fall, then the grand finale - she runs to her room crying and screaming and closes the door. (I forget, is she 3 or 13?)

So, on this particular day I had asked my little girl to wait in the car, as she always does, while I ran out for 5.2 seconds, grabbed her brother out of the cold and pouring rain, and got back in the warm dry car. Well, though she opposed this plan, mommy insisted. My punishment - by the time I returned to the car the full-on wailing was underway. She had clearly been abandoned on the side of the road and left for dead.

As I attempt to ignore said wailing I am actually getting more and more annoyed. Finally I say, "If you cannot stop crying it means that you are tired and need to take a nap!" I am using tried and true parenting logic/scare tactics now.

Then, my 5-year-old, who has apparently been bearing the shrill sound of 3-year-old abandonment issues much better than I, says, "No, mommy, that's just how God made her."

I stop for a moment, the sound of grace and acceptance lingering in my ear. He's right. He's used to this. From the time my little girl arrived on the scene she has cried. I never actually called it colic (I have friends whose children actually cried for 12 hours a day), but this little creature of mine has cried - a lot.

Maybe she's just sensitive, maybe she's emotional (like me, huh, my brother did call me a cry baby quite often when I was young), maybe this is the way God made her.

I grab my Sesame Street CD and pop it in. Soon the tears subside as Elmo sings along with Hootie and the Blowfish and all is well in the world. Elmo always seems to make everything all better. Even mommy feels better as I realize that I've been humbled and given just a little bit of perspective by my 5-year-old.

3 comments:

Dave and Malissa said...

I'm so glad you opened your blog to others. It's nice to walk into the world of another mom and here how the "humblers" strike again(i like that description of our children - it is so true).

love another mom, malissa

Anonymous said...

that's so cool. i really do like reading about your family.. since i only see you all, what, about three times a year? :( so sad. But it really is cool-- i was filling out a bunch of paperwork for my job at school today and realized that i was born in 88-- and it's definitely 08. the shocking reality hit me-- i'm almost 20!!! AHHH! Then i got an email from Ben, saying that he needed a copy of the family tree for school because they're studying them, and i was so impressed! what is he, 10 now? it's crazy it seems like just yesterday they were all born! and hope is 3!! AHH!
i hope Hope's crying escapades dissipate... haha that is quite funny, but i can see how it would be seriously frustrating!

love ya!

j.ro said...

i love how your photo helps tell the story :o) ... and of course i can totally relate to the humblings.