Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Little Oscar for Once




Well, I for one stayed up far too late last night watching the Academy Awards. Ever since reading about some fun and creative ideas for hosting an Oscar party I have dreamed of throwing my very own night of Academy Awards fun. Unfortunately, I do not have enough friends with the same shallow obsession with Hollywood that I possess, therefore I watched them alone (okay, hubby was in the room but typing away on the computer). I explained to him that this is like the Super Bowl of movies and therefore I must give it my full attention.

I love seeing all the famous people arrive in their beautiful dresses and dapper tuxes, it's as close to royalty as we seem to get these days. I was so eager to hear all of Ryan Seacrest's mind-numbing interview questions that I actually shushed my children and attempted to send them off to bed without their good-night kisses. Don't worry, I caved, and only missed a few minutes of the festivities and was back on the couch as what's his name took the stage.

I did not make any Oscar predictions, I didn't much care about best actor or actress this year and it appeared that the only real contenders in the movie category were two terrifying movies that I refuse to see. (My imagination is wild enough, I don't need anyone else's horrific visions adding to what goes on in this head.) But I am so glad I saw the show for one main reason - the music!

As you know, Once is a gem of a movie and you can't help but fall in love with the main characters who appear to be much like the actors themselves. After watching the two lackluster performances from Enchanted (one without Amy Adams), I was glad to watch two truly talented musicians perform their own song with such beauty and emotion. The fact that two relatively unknowns even got to be up there was inspiring.



When they won their oscar I was clapping and screaming along with them. Though it was heartbreaking to watch as Marketa wasn't even aloud to say her thanks to the audience, but what a classy thing for what's his name to invite her back up for a proper acceptance speech - if you've ever watched before, you know that is never done. So if you missed it, enjoy!




I can't help smiling every time I watch that, I just almost started cheering again.

Also so glad that the score from Atonement won for it's category. What haunting music to carry you through such a heart-wrenching story. I thought the acceleration of the typewriter keys being punched throughout was brilliant.

1 comment:

Jeff and Steph said...

I would have watched it with you! I watched the whole thing too- although it wasn't very late here! I was glad the guys from Once won too!