Thursday, April 30, 2009

Poetry - Part Deux

Here are two more of my favorite poems to commemorate the last day of National Poetry Month. The first is about my constant battle against the depression that took my mom from me many years ago (thankfully she is still alive, just hard to reach). And the second is about making peace with my imperfections. Enjoy.


Sadness

When I'm sad
the sadness overtakes,
it leaves me lying in its wake.

I writhe and cry,
"Let me go! Set me free!"
But it holds fast, won't let me be.

I cry within my own soul
for help-
It echoes back, a pitiless yelp.


Wait it out,
I think I will,
Maybe joy will come home still.



Hope

Imperfect heart
that breaks my life in two.

Yelling and screaming,
loving and dreaming,
So much less than
I wish I could be.

Happy
Unsatisfied
Broken Down
My will defied.

I really thought I could create
a perfect world
where love and peace abound,
where souls are saved
and hearts are healed.

No more tears
Fullness
Life

But here I sit in this
rat-a-tat mess,
Loving and being loved,
but left in distress...

Get over it, girl,
you're not home yet,
HOPE.

No comments: